Recent

Follow Us

Kelly McGillis Talks About Her Coming Out As A Lesbian


The actress Kelly McGillis, who starred with Tom Cruise in 'Top Gun', has opened up about why she waited until 2009 to declare she was a lesbian.

Kelly McGillis told Entertainment Weekly, fundamentally, I was just tired of lying about who I am. I've reached a point where my kids are grown, they're out of the house, they no longer have to be concerned that their friends, their friends' families, will put them in compromising emotional situations because of my sexual preference.

She added, That was a big concern of mine because, unfortunately, a lot of people are not very tolerant. I got to a certain age and I didn't give a expletive anymore. Ultimately, all I have to offer anybody is my truth. I don't have any profound wisdom, no profound insight, I only have my truth and my experience to offer others.

The 53 years old McGillis has two children from her marriage to Fred Tillman. The two wed in 1989 and divorced in 2002. She was also married to Boyd Black between 1979 and 1981. In September 2010, she entered into a civil union with partner Melanie Leis.

Kelly McGillis played Cruise's love interest in the1986 fighter-pilot film 'Top Gun'. She starred in the 1980s movies 'Witness' and 'The Accused' and later had small parts on shows such as 'The Outer Limits' and appeared in television movies. She also had a recurring role on Showtime's gay and lesbian-themed show 'The L Word' in 2008.

I was out before that, McGillis said, when asked if her time on the show influenced her decision to come out. I mean, I was involved in a relationship during that. It wasn't a thing that just happened. That's who I am and what I've been for a long time. It's just that I could never really talk about it.

Kelly McGillis nowadays spends most of her time working as a drug conselor at a rehab center in New Jersey, the magazine said. The actress also continues to act and stars in the new vampire movie 'Stake Land', which was released on Friday, April 22. Check out the Stake Land trailer below.



Stake Land Official Trailer